Wednesday 1 February 2017

DX Activation Plans - Part Two

DX Activation Plans


Part Two

Rig Selection


It goes without saying that the core of any DX activation kit would be the radio itself. There are quite an array of different types of radio with different features and equally importantly different weights and sizes.

As I regularly buy and sell CB Radio I have access to lots of different types of rigs but I do also have three different radios which have different advantages and disadvantages for using as a portable set up. 

So in terms of the rigs I own let's look at where they would be useful in a portable activations and where they may not be able to really provide what's needed.



 









 

Kernow Beta 1100

I generally keep the Kernow in my car.  It is s very small and lightweight rig and is easy to use.  It has a decent recurve and would easily fit in a rucksack without adding undue weight or bulk.

However it doesn't have a signal meter which reduces its usefulness in terms of providing signal reports during a DX activation.









Colt 295

The Colt 295 is my favourite little rig for DX activations as although it isn't as light or as compact as the Kernow I do find it has a better recieve than the Kernow. The rig itself is a rather sturdy design so I am not to worried about it getting knocked around when being out and about. 

It also has the advantage of a swing needle signal meter and also comes with a basic RF gain. On this particular rig the RF Gain is a two position switch which can be set to on or off. Although it doesn't have an adjustable RF Gain dial it does still provide an impressive recieve compared to some smaller CB Radio.





 

Tristar 777

My Tristar is my main workhorse at home since it covers both FM, AM and SSB. At the moment this is the only rig which I have available which can provide SSB operation for activations that can be used for a Sideband net. 

It is a much bigger rig than my other two and also packs a fair bit of weight so would be a struggle to heft it around with the other kit that forms part of a SX activation. 

To its advantage though it does come with SSB and because of that can run at 12 Watts.  Because if the additional power and better efficiency of SSB the ranges achieved are far greater than with a standard 40 Channel FM Radio. 

I've not yet run it from a portable battery so would be interested to see how it performs when I do take it out in the summer. 

In the majority of cases through it would be set up in the car and run from the power provided by the cars battery. I would think twice before including it in a truly portable set up because if it's size and weight.
 

So in selecting the best kind of radio for a DX activation I would suggest a small lightweight rig with a signal meter and RF Gain.  With that in mind there are a great many affordable rigs available that would be able to provide this.

Other Posts



 

No comments:

Post a Comment